Monday, April 28, 2014

Where Art Thou, Oboe?

The title for this blog is actually so accurate because I probably haven't touched my oboe in two weeks... Which is why I have been avoiding writing this blog. School actually sucks and it seems as if all my free time (besides Easter break where i watched 24 hours of House he he) is absorbed in schoolwork or studying for the Chem AP. And even though I do love the oboe, I love getting a higher GPA more than that. But, I have been listening to some pretty good oboe players, and they inspire me to learn more :') I will now insert some videos of the oboe playing because I just think it's the prettiest instrument in the world.

This first one is actually a song I'm currently playing in band, but I thought the oboe part was so pretty I had to put it in here :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVpRhP8PkqE the oboe solo starts around 1:40-1:56 

The second one one is a solo performed by Marcel Tabuteau (my mentor's favorite oboist in the world) in the Philadelphia Orchestra. He starts playing a part of his solo around 3:45

And lastly, the third one is actually my quintet performing, but there's an oboe in it so you all can see that. I thought since I wasn't playing the oboe for the past few weeks, I thought it would be fun to show you all what I have been working on :) Sorry if this recording isn't very good though, it's after districts (a few months ago) with only about 4 rehearsals. Trust me, we sound much better now. We're also performing this quintet at the Michigan Youth Arts Festival if any of you want to come and see us play (because I know you do). Sorry if the recording is sorta long, i tried to shorten it because it was originally 7 minutes, but you can just skip around and find the cool parts. And when we actually play for the MYAF, i'll be sure to upload a video! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiNRURF_IcI


1 comment:

  1. Julia, I listened to your recording of your quartet and is sounds really good! Good luck at the Michigan Youth Arts Festival!

    ReplyDelete